Wednesday, December 26, 2007
My almost Christmas Day trip to the ER
So this week has hit me harder than ever with morning sickness, or as I like to say all day and all night sickness. It all started Christmas morning, my mom was going to let me sleep in while she got up with Daniel, and of course one of the few days I could sleep in I can't. I woke up at about 7:00 a.m. feeling queasy and just plain horrible, so I head to the kitchen to grab some crackers or basically anything I can find hoping as soon as I get some food in me I'll start feeling better. Boy was I wrong. It seemed no matter what I did, nothing worked. So after we did all our morning Christmas stuff I just basically crashed on the couch, luckily Daniel just adores my parents so I had no worries about whether or not he would have enough attention. So sadly that was my Christmas, Jason and Daniel playing and hanging out with the family while I sat on the couch feeling horrible. I wanted to be optimistic so I kept thinking this would pass, finally I couldn't handle it anymore so at about 5:00 I told Jason we need to head home, I just wanted to be in my own bed and just crash, little did I know there was a different plan for me. Up until this point I was lucky enough that I had not thrown up yet, so feeling the way I did I carried a plastic bag with me in the car just in case, it wasn't until we got to our house that everything hit me like a brick, I was getting Daniel in his PJ's when all of a sudden I felt it, luckily I made it to the bathroom in time, so once this little episode was over I actually felt a little relief, and so I thought maybe this over and I can actually relax. Little did I know this was just the beginning. From about the time we got home at about 7:00 until midnight I threw up about 7 or 8 times(that's not including the many times I was dry heaving as well), and no matter what I did I could not get it under control. I tried nibbling on saltines, drinking 7 up and anything I could think of, in hope I could settle my stomach. but nothing worked, so finally I told Jason I can't do this, at this point my stomach was in knots, i was in complete pain, every time I stood up I would get dizzy and felt as though I was going to pass out and I was in complete tears. So with it being so late Jason mentioned maybe we should just head to the ER and see if there is anything they can do, and all though that did sound like a great idea, I kept thinking but what if this isn't a big deal and we make that useless trip to the ER. So I suggested calling my OB's after hours line, and within a few minutes I got a call back from my Doctor. And sadly I was right, we didn't need to go to the ER, he basically told me that I just need to continue what I have been doing, and if the throwing up goes on longer than 24 hrs then I may need to come in and see someone. Its just hard for me to believe this is normal for a lot of women in pregnancy. So after that call I only threw up about 2 or 3 more times, and then I was finally able to get some sleep. By morning I felt a little better, I was still very nauseous, but it was nothing like the day before. I basically spent the day in bed while Jason took care of Daniel for me (thank goodness he has the week off, I don't know what I would have done without him) And finally at about noon I was able to keep down some chicken broth, and once I knew that my stomach could handle that, I nibbled on some toast, and crackers. And finally everything stayed down! So when all said in done it probably was nothing, and its just part of being pregnant, but for me when it comes to being sick, I'm not the strongest person, and especially when it comes to throwing up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment