Monday, December 17, 2007

First Doctors visit

Well I had my first doctors visit today, and all went well, of course because I'm only 8 weeks and 5 days we didn't attempt to try and listen to the heart beat, but we have decided since my last pregnancy was so complicated and well....a little strange at times, we decided at 12 weeks we will do an ultrasound and make sure all is well an progressing the way things should. But he had some reassuring words for me and some very positive feedback about a lot of my fears and concerns, first being my chances of having another child with Spina Bifida, first he made sure I was taking my prenatal vitamins, as well as 4 mg of folic acid, yes that's right because of my history I have to take well..... a lot more than the average pregnant woman. Usually you only need 1 mg of folic acid, the amount in a prenatal vitamin, but for me I have had to take the 1 mg that is already in my prenatal plus 4 more 1 mg tablets. At times I feel like a little addict taking 6 pills at once. But if that's what I have to do, then I'll do it. Then he went on to tell me that even though I have a child with Spina bifida my chances don't increase that much at having another child with Spina Bifida, he said usually a woman has about 1% or less chance at having a child born with Spina Bifida, but for me, my chances have only increased to about 2-5% of having another one. So hearing that gave me a little relief. But since I have found out that I was pregnant, I have had this very calm feeling, almost like I know things are going to be OK, but don't get me wrong, I still get scared, but I feel very comforted, and I know whatever the lord gives me, I can handle. We then went on to talk about my delivery options, I had a c-section with Daniel because he was in distress and after 23 long hours of sitting in a hospital bed in labor we decided to let medicine take over and get him out, but with things having been so complicated with Daniel, I have decided to have a c-section with this one too, now things may not be complicated like they were with Daniel and things may actually go smooth, but having gone through what I have and the stories I have heard about VBAC's I would just rather not risk it. But I was really happy with the way the visit went, and I was actually really surprised at how long the Doctor sat and talked with me, I didn't feel rushed or anything, he wanted to make sure all my questions were answered and wanted to make sure I felt confident about everything. Now he did tell me he doesn't want to categorize me as "high risk" but he did let me know they were going to watch me a little more carefully, and I may even have more frequent visits, but they don't want to jump the gun and think the worse of everything. We're just going to take a day at time and just hope for the best. And that is really all I can do as well, as long as I know I'm taking care of myself the best I can, then whatever the outcome, I'll be okay.

No comments: