Tuesday, February 26, 2008

VBAC vs. C-section

So as I'm approaching my 20 weeks I realized time is going by faster than I thought. And it seems at every apt I have the doctors ask me if I have made my decision on whether or not I want to try for a VBAC(vaginal birth after c-section) or have a scheduled c-section. And it seems I just can't figure out what to do, at first I thought I would just do the c-section, but after talking to my doctors about it, i'm confused on what to do. They think I would be a great candidate for a VBAC considering the reasons I had to have a c-section with Daniel. There was no real medical reason on my part that I couldn't handle a normal delivery, it was pretty much all Daniel, and after 23 hours of labor and no Daniel I was ok with them doing a c-section. So now as time keeps getting closer and closer I gets more and more confused on what to do. So if anyone has any advice or know anyone who has gone through this, please.....I would love your input.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Well, I think that in this day and age it's not a guarantee that a doctor will encourage a vbac so good for them! Personally, I had a vbac with my second child and I wouldn't change a thing. I loved being able to care for both kids instead of recovering from surgery!

Good luck with your decision!

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

ohh, that's a tough one. At least your doc is suggesting it. I know most people I know that had a c-section were pretty much sent down that same path again with later deliveries. Pray about it & you'll make the decision that's right for you.

Jen @ VBACFacts.com said...

I understand how this can be scary... you've already had a cesarean, you know what to expect and a vaginal birth is all new territory. I had a home VBAC 11/07 and it was the best decision for me. The recovery was so different! To be able to immediately eat, drink, get out of bed, go to the bathroom by myself... I could go on and on. And the birth itself... yes, labor is hard work, but the rush you get once that baby is born is ... indescribable and so worth it! You can read my birth story at www.vbacfacts.com/hbacbirth. Best of luck with your decision!
Jen